Wednesday, March 10, 2010

New DVD releases







Today's blog is going to be a fun one I am going to review some new release DVD out on the market. The movies are Hachi; A Dog's Tale, The Marine 2, and Old Dogs. I wish I could type faster but because of my recent shoulder surgery I have to type one handed and the constant pain limits amount of time able to sit. Another words it takes me some time to get out these blogs to you all out their in cyber-land.
Hachi: A Dog's Tale; I give this 2 Thumbs up or 5 stars. If you love animals or love sentimental movies this is your film. Hachi is a true story retold in a modern setting the origninal true story took place in Japan in 1923-1935, and was a movie "Hachiko Mongatari" made in 1937. Hachiko as he was known in Japan means, "Faithful Dog." The movie takes place in Rhode Island but the story is really about the loyalty of Hachi and his master Parker Wilson and the train station, played by Richard Gere. After Wilson passes on, Hachiko comes to the train station everyday for 10 years waiting for his master to get off the train as he had done while his master was living. There is a statue of Hachiko at the Shibuya train station, where the dog waited is named for the dog, "Hachiko-guchi" meaning Hachiko exit ". Cast includes: Richard Gere, Joan Allen, Sara Roemer, Cary-Hiryuki Tagawa, Eric Avari, Jason Alexander...
The Marine 2; I gave this a partial Thumbs up or 3 Stars. The action is this movie is start to finish. The acting done by Ted DiBiase Jr. is far superior to that of John Cena in the original movie, "The Marine". The story takes place on a luxury island resort where Joe Linwood's wife Robin is the PR executive. This is supposed to be a working vacation for her and a needed luxury R&R for him until all h#$^ breaks loose on the island. I read one reviewer say "this movie is like going back to the 1980 action movies." I would agree and really were those movies all that bad, I enjoyed them and I enjoyed "The Marine 2".
Old Dogs; I gave this a Thumbs up or 4 Stars. To me, so what if the movie is predictable their were a lot of scenes in the movie that were laugh out loud funny. In fact, my stomach hurt after watching the movie from laughing so much. Is this Robin Williams, John Travolta, Kelly Preston, Rita Wilson, Seth Green, and Bernie Mac (in his final role on the big-screen) best movie, no but I don't think they deserved to get hammered by the critics like they did. The movie is about a divorced father who is afraid of kids, meets his twin children for the first time when they are 7 years old, and has to take care of them while their mother is serving a two week sentence in jail.
I think sometimes the big hot shot movie critics out their are to full of themselves and are looking for the art in the movie or great cinematography, I look for something that gives me joy and when the movie is over gave me something to think about, laugh about,feel good about (good guys gets bad guy), or cry about, this is all I expect or want from the movies I watch. The movies I get turned off by are horror (don't like to get scared) and movies that think that the only way to make this a great movie is to drop the F bomb as many times as possible. I find lately that my wife and I enjoy Indy films as much as large budget major motion pictures.
I thought the Academy got it wrong by not giving Denzel Washington the Academy Award for "Remember the Titans", so to make it up he got the award for what both my wife and I thought was a bad movie, "Training Day." Some of you might disagree but I just didn't like the movie. This is one of many examples where I think the critics get it wrong and the Academy is wrong as well. Another example, why didn't Clint Eastwood get a nomination for "Gran Torino," I thought a much superior movie to some of which were in the awards show that year. Had this movie been out this past year with 10 movies in best picture I think it might have made it as one of best pictures nominations but I still don't think it would have won because the movie was not PC enough for Hollywood.
I love movies and I am currently working on a script or at least I was prior to the accident hope to get back to writing later this spring. I hope to direct the movie and I hope if it is made that all you out their in cyber-land feels as I do and you watch a movie just because... Until I am finished I will keep giving you my opinion on how I felt about the movies that I have watched.

No comments:

Post a Comment